Cancer Resources & Education
We understand that a cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming, not only for the patient, but also family members and caregivers. Below you'll find a list of resources and support groups to help you or your loved one through this journey.
Northeast Georgia Medical Center partners with many national oncology groups to provide patients the opportunity to participate in national clinical trials sponsored by the National Cancer Institute and other established cancer institutions. 770-219-8820 | www.nghs.com/clinical-trials
Oncology Patient Navigators
The Patient Navigation program at Northeast Georgia Medical Center is a free service that provides cancer patients with guidance and support throughout their cancer journey, including helping to navigate the healthcare system and any challenges that may impede treatment. Our navigators can be reached Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Alicia Harrison, RN: Assists patients with lung, brain or head/neck cancer.
770-219-5804 | Alicia.Harrison@nghs.com
Lisa Bridges, RN: Assists patients with breast cancer.
770-219-5857 | Lisa.Bridges@nghs.com
Elida Lopez: Assists patients with digestive, gynecologic or urological cancer.
770-219-6055 | Elida.Lopez@nghs.com
All NGMC navigators are STAR (Survivorship Training and Rehabilitation) certified.
American Cancer Society - Local Assistance
Jennifer, Roberts, Patient Navigator: Provides access to programs and services within the community and those available via the American Cancer Soceity.
770-219-5812 | Jennifer.Roberts@nghs.com
Lung Cancer Support Group
Hosted by Northeast Georgia Medical Center’s lung cancer patient navigator, Alicia Harrison, this support group is designed for lung cancer patients, caregivers and survivors.
Braselton: Meets the 3rd Monday of the month at 4:30 p.m. in NGMC Braselton’s Education Center.
Gainesville: Meets the 2nd Thursday of the month at noon in the lobby of 1285 Sims St. Gainesville.
The Longstreet Cancer Center Support Group
Hosted by The Longstreet Cancer Center, this support group addresses all types of cancers and is designed for patients, caregivers and survivors.
Gainesville: Meets the last Tuesday of every month at 6:30 p.m. in the Longstreet Cancer Center lobby (725 Jesse Jewell Parkway, 3rd floor).
Breast Cancer Faith-Based Support Group
This is a faith-based support group for breast cancer patients, caregivers and survivors.
Oakwood: Meets the 4th Saturday of every month at 2 p.m. at Flat Creek Baptist Church (5504 Flat Creek Rd.). Call Robyn Chambers at 770-401-4893 to attend.
STAR Program Cancer Rehabilitation Services at NGMC
Northeast Georgia Medical Center’s Cancer Services partners with The Rehabilitation Institute at NGMC to provide STAR Program® certified cancer rehabilitation. The STAR Program, which stands for Survivorship Training and Rehabilitation, provides hospitals with the tools and training needed to minimize the debilitating side effects of cancer treatment.
770-219-8200 | www.nghs.com/cancer-rehabilitation
Financial Assistance for Cancer Patients
- Northeast Georgia Medical Center’s Financial Assistance: Assists patients with applying for public health coverage programs, discounts, payment plans or free care to eligible uninsured or underinsured patients for medically necessary care. 770-219-1898 | www.nghs.com/financial-assistance
- Cancer State Aid: Provides financial assistance for cancer-related diagnostic testing, evaluations and treatment planning support, as well as cancer treatment support for patients whose prognosis and planned treatment are medically eligible for program funding. Please contact Lisa Hunsbusher at 770-219-5473 for eligibility requirements | https://dph.georgia.gov/cancer-state-aid-2
- Cancer Foundation of Northeast Georgia: Assists patients in northeast Georgia with rent/mortgage, prescriptions not covered by insurance, utility bills, nutritional assistance, durable medical equipment and gas cards ($500.00 cap per patient each year). 706-353-4354 | www.cancerfoundationofnega.org/
- Glory, Hope, and Life: Assists cancer patients, caregivers and families with a variety of financial, physical and emotional support services through resources, programs and activities. 770-533-4705 | http://www.gloryhopelife.org/
- Sid Weber Memorial Cancer Fund: Assists Rabun county residents with resources designed to that help patients through their cancer journey, including partnering with the American Cancer Society’s Road to recovery to help provide rides for patients to and from their treatments. 706-746-3350 | www.sidwebercancerfund.org/
- Ninth District Opportunity: Provides a wide ridge of services (housing programs, community services, heating assistance) designed to help low-income families in Hall County. 770-532-3191 | www.ndo.org/web/
- Salvation Army - Project SHARE: Assists people affected by illness, job loss or other unfortunate circumstances with utility assistance. Hall: 770-534-7589; Rabun: 706-782-4283; Habersham/Stephens: 706-866-5293 | projectshareinfo.com/where-to-apply/
Hospice of Northeast Georgia Medical Center
Hospice of Northeast Georgia Medical Center provides both inpatient and outpatient hospice services for patients with life-limiting illnesses. 770-219-8888 | www.nghs.com/hospice
Northeast Georgia Health System offers chaplain visits, contact with personal pastors, devotional literature and Sunday chapel services. Located at NGMC Braselton and NGMC Gainesville, the chapels are available 24 hours a day, seven day a week. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Gainesville Office: 770-219-5077; after-hours:770-219-1873
Braselton Office: 770-848-4928; after-hours contact: 770-848-0735
Other General Resources:
American Cancer Society’s National Support Services: 1-800-227-2345