Northeast Georgia Health System is dedicated to providing the most advanced surgical care to patients, using state-of-the-art technology. We are leaders across Georgia in a number of surgical specialties, recognized nationally through our centers of excellence for hernia surgery, colorectal surgery, minimally invasive gynecology, minimally invasive surgery and robotic surgery. We are also one of the only programs in the region to offer robotic heart surgery.
Types of Surgery
Depending on the type of surgery needed, we may offer any of the following techniques:
- Open surgery – While open surgery is a more invasive approach, sometimes it’s required to provide the best outcome for a patient. If we recommend open surgery, it is because it’s the best option available to ensure long-term success.
- Laparoscopic surgery – We perform a number of gynecologic, general and bariatric surgeries through a laparoscopic approach. We are also able to offer Single Port Access (SPA) surgery, which requires only one small incision.
- Endoscopic surgery – Endoscopic surgery enables a surgeon to perform a surgery by inserting a scope with a camera on it in through a small incision or an orifice, limiting pain and recovery time for the patient. We perform a number of esophageal, colorectal, thoracic and heart surgeries with an endoscopic approach.
- Endovascular surgery – Endovascular surgery is a minimally invasive approach to treat issues with blood vessels, such as aneurysms.
- Robotic surgery – Robotic surgery is both minimally-invasive and very precise, offering patients less pain, shorter recovery times and a high quality result. We offer a number of general, gynecologic, heart and urological surgeries through a robotic approach.
Center of Excellence
Northeast Georgia Medical Center (NGMC) is the first hospital in Georgia to receive accreditation by Surgical Review Corporation (SRC) as a Center of Excellence in:
- Hernia Surgery
- Robotic Surgery
- Colorectal Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Gynecology
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
SRC is an internationally recognized patient safety organization that recognizes NGMC for its dedication to delivering safe, effective and evidence-based patient care in these designated areas through its independent, external process of evaluation.
Before Your Surgery
Get helpful information about what you can do before your procedure.
About Robotic Surgery
Learn about the advantages of Robotic Surgery at NGMC.