Whether your family is taking a relaxing trip to the beach or going on an adventure to the mountains, there are a few things to remember to keep you and your family safe before hitting the road. Summer road trips can bring great memories, or a tire could blow out and ruin a long-anticipated vacation. Here are a few ways to ensure that your road trip goes off without a hitch.
Before you get on the road, be sure to do a couple of things to ensure your car is as ready for the trip as you are:
- Check for recalls on the vehicle you’ll be driving.
- Get your car serviced by a mechanic.
- Know the car you’re taking on the road and be aware of the features in the vehicle.
- Perform a safety check of your car’s systems such as the battery, lights, fluid levels, air conditioning, belts, hoses and wiper blades.
- Plan your travel and route so you have a strategy for the trip that allows for stops and knowledge of the roads.
What to make sure you have stocked in your car before you leave:
- Cell phone and a charger compatible to your vehicle
- A first-aid kit
- Jumper cables
- Drinking water and non-perishable foods
- Car jack and spare tire
- Basic repair tools
Throughout your entire trip, make sure safety is your top priority. If you are traveling with children, make sure you don’t leave them unattended in your car, even if it’s just for a minute or if the engine is running. If you are driving, allow yourself time to stop to rest and avoid risky driving behaviors. And always remember to buckle up.