Patients receive 24-hour coverage by physicians and nurses skilled in medical rehabilitation. Team conferences are held weekly to share progress and concerns and update treatment goals. The patient participates in goal setting and periodic updates are given to the patient and family. Patient and family education is a major part of care and discharge planning.
Our team is made up of:
- Physiatrist – A physiatrist is a physician who specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation and provides the medical direction for the program.
- Case Managers – A case manager coordinates a patient's rehabilitation program and provides counseling to help families cope. A case manager also develops a plan for smooth discharge and re-entry into the community.
- Physical Therapists – A physical therapist helps a patient improve mobility through flexibility, strength and endurance exercises, using special equipment and techniques to help the patient reach physical goals.
- Occupational Therapists – An occupational therapist helps a patient become more independent by working on daily living activities such as self-care, home management and mobility. An occupational therapist works with the patient on improving coordination, use of upper body, safety awareness and problem solving.
- Speech Language Pathologists – A speech language pathologist helps improve a patient's ability to comprehend and communicate by working with the patient to develop alternate communication and swallowing techniques.
- Registered Nurses – A registered nurse assists with physical and psychosocial needs and educates the patient and family about medical needs.
- Registered Dietitians – A registered dietitian works closely with physicians, nurses and therapists to ensure a patient's optimal nutritional status. All patients are screened for nutritional risk upon admission to Inpatient Rehab. A registered dietitian then completes a full nutritional evaluation for those patients at risk for nutritional deficiencies. Registered dietitians also are available for diet education and intake support upon request or consult.
- Neuropsychologist – A neuropsychologist assesses a patient's motivation, values, attitudes and coping techniques as well as assists with emotional and psychological adjustments.