As you prepare your holiday menus, check out this low-sodium turkey gravy recipe that will pair well with the low-sodium herb-rubbed turkey. The gravy is not only heart-healthy, but it is also delicious!
- 4 cups (32 fluid ounces) unsalted turkey stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, remove from stem and finely chop
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, remove from stem and finely chop
- 1 cup (8 fluid ounces) skim milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- After you roast the turkey, place the roasting pan on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Add 2 cups of turkey stock to the pan and stir about 5 minutes or until the drippings and browned bits from bottom dissolve.
- Place a strainer over a fat separator cup.
- Pour pan drippings through a strainer.
- Add enough stock to the drippings to make 4 cups total. If you don’t have a fat separator cup, you can remove fat from drippings by adding several ice cubes to the liquid and placing it in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove hardened fat with a spoon and place stock into a saucepan. You should still have about 4 cups of liquid.
- Place the saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add sage and thyme to the simmering stock.
- Continue to simmer until the stock is reduced by 1/4, or until about 3 cups of stock remain.
- Pour milk into a small bowl.
- Add cornstarch and stir to mix evenly. Slowly pour milk mixture into the simmering stock, stirring slowly.
- Bring sauce to a boil and continue to stir until stock thickens and has a nice shine, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serving Size: About 1/2 cup
- Serves 8 people
- Calories 25
- Protein 1g
- Trans fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 1 mg
- Total carbohydrate 5g
- Trace Sodium 14 mg
- Added sugars 0 g
Recipe created by Northeast Georgia Medical Center Executive Chef, Byron Harrel
Other Heart-Healthy Recipes
About Georgia Heart Institute
For patients with heart disease, life can be challenging. At Georgia Heart Institute, we help patients manage their heart health and lead fulfilling lives–even for those with advanced heart disease. Learn more about our program and start your journey today.