There’s nothing better than a sweet treat at the end of a dinner – especially a warm brownie. It’s even better when the dessert is good for your heart! These olive oil walnut brownies include alternative ingredients that reduce the sugar and the fat content, like olive oil, sugar substitute and Greek yogurt. Plus, the walnuts contain lots of nutrients that are great for your heart!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup sugar substitute (Stevia, Splenda, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 whole eggs
- ¼ cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup whole wheat flour (or gluten-free substitute like almond flour)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9×9” baking pan with baking spray or line the pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil and sweetener until incorporated.
- Add vanilla, eggs, and yogurt. Continue to mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, and salt. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix, gently, until just incorporated.
- Fold in the walnut.
- Add batter into the pan and add extra walnuts on top if desired. Bake until a toothpick comes out slightly clean (a little chocolate on it is ok) about 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into 2-inch squares. Serve alongside ½ cup of fresh fruit.
Olive Oil Walnut Brownies
- Serving Size: 1 small slice (2-inch square)
- Calories: 76
- Total fat: 6 grams
- Saturated fat: 1 gram
- Trans fat: 0 grams
- Cholesterol: 21 milligrams
- Sodium: 45 milligrams
- Total Carbohydrate: 5 grams
- Dietary Fiber: 1 gram
- Added Sugar: 0 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
Georgia Heart Institute: Setting the Standard for Heart Failure Care
For patients with heart failure, life can be challenging. At Georgia Heart Institute, we help patients manage their heart health and lead fulfilling lives–even for those with advanced stages of the disease. Learn more about our specialized services and meet our talented and highly-trained heart failure team!