Neonatology & Perinatology
Special care for special babies
Families and babies with special needs can receive high quality specialty care at Northeast Georgia Medical Center through our neonatology and perinatology services.
Neonatal Intensive Care and Intermediate Care Units
Babies born prematurely or with illness can receive specialized care in NGMC’s Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) or Neonatal Intermediate Care Nursery (IMC).
These units are staffed 24 hours a day with a team of highly skilled clinicians including:
- Board certified/Board eligible neonatologists
- Experienced neonatal nurses and nurse practitioners
- Neonatal respiratory therapists
- Clinical pharmacists
- Physical therapists
- Case managers
Care for Babies and Families
The unit is located in NGMC’s new Women & Children’s Pavilion and offers 26 individual rooms allowing parents privacy with their babies. Our practitioners offer high quality medical care with the goal of a speedy recovery so that babies can go home and be with their families. Before babies are discharged, parents are encouraged to stay overnight in one of our special parent-infant rooms, adjacent to the special care nurseries. There, parents can become accustomed to the special needs of their baby and feel comfortable caring for their child, with the assurance that our staff is close by.
For more information about neonatology services at NGMC, call 770-219-1576. To take a virtual tour of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit click here.
Gainesville Perinatal Center provides care for women with high-risk pregnancies.
Common maternal-fetal conditions we monitor include:
- Pre-term labor
- Recurrent pregnancy loss
- Multiple gestations
- Suspected birth defects
- Medical disorders complicating pregnancy such as diabetes and clotting disorders
- Exposure to drugs or medications that may cause birth defects
- Family history of birth defects or genetic disorders
- Positive screening test for chromosome abnormalities or birth defects
Our Services Include:
- 2-D, 3-D and 4-D ultrasound
- Fetal echocardiography
- Color and spectral doppler studies
- Fetal biophysical profiles
- Evaluation for and placement of cerclage
- Targeted fetal (level II) ultrasound
- First trimester screening for Down Syndrome and other genetic abnormalities with nuchal translucency and nasal bone assessment
- Prenatal diagnosis (amniocentesis, CVS)
- Minimally invasive procedures such as PUBS, fetal transfusion, NST (including twin monitoring) and fetal shunt placement
- Perinatal transport of patients from other hospitals for maternal fetal/neonatal indicators
Highly skilled practitioners make up the Gainesville Perinatal team including:
- Board certified maternal-fetal medicine physician
- Nurses specializing in high-risk pregnancy care
- Registered diagnostic ultrasonographers
- Gestational diabetes educators
Gainesville Perinatal Center is located at
The Longstreet Clinic, 705 Jesse Jewell Parkway, Suite 150
For more information, call our office at 770-287-3815 or 866-395-9494.