Clinical Pastoral Education
Northeast Georgia Medical Center is home to a Clinical Pastoral Education center, which is focused on offering our area clergy practical theological education in a clinical setting through the CPE model.
Our center is accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc. (ACPE), located at
1549 Clairmont Road, Suite 103
Decatur, GA 30033
The CPE Educational Model
Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) uses the clinical method of learning. This is an educational model that uses data from the actual practice of ministry as the content for reflection. The CPE experience addresses many aspects of ministry. Out of an intense involvement with persons in need, and feedback from peers and supervisor, CPE participants develop a new awareness of themselves as persons, of the needs of those to whom they minister, and of God’s presence in ministry situations.
The elements of CPE include:
- Detailed reflection, reporting and evaluation of ministerial encounters
- Pastoral Supervision
- A theological and theoretical perspective on all elements of the program
- A small group of peers in a common learning experience
- An individual contract for learning consistent with the objectives of CPE
- An opportunity to explore your pastoral authority and pastoral formation
- An opportunity to continue to develop your pastoral theology
- An opportunity to learn pastoral care across cultures
What are the CPE programs offered?
The Pastoral Care Department at the Northeast Georgia Medical Center offers ACPE Clinical Pastoral Education in several formats. We are accredited to offer Level One and Level Two ACPE CPE. We currently have four residency positions. Our residency program is a fulltime, one-year program which begins in late August and ends on August 31st. The benefits are: 28K stipend, ten days of Paid Days Off, medical and dental benefits. In addition to Objectives and Outcomes of Levels One and Two CPE, our focus is on training persons to become fulltime, board-certified professional chaplains. We emphasize theological reflection, personality development, and the transition from student to professional. We begin accepting applications for the residency program in January of each year for the academic year which begins each August.
We also offer internships in ACPE CPE, one of which is fulltime and the other two are part-time. The two part-time programs are offered in the Fall for seventeen weeks and in the Winter-Spring for eighteen weeks. Both require five hours of educational time and eighteen hours of clinical time. In the summer, we offer a twelve-week, fulltime program. With all three programs, an intern will earn one unit of credit for ACPE CPE.
How do I apply?
If you are interested in participating in this educational experience.
- Download the Clinical Pastoral Education application
- Complete the application and return it, along with a $60 non-refundable application fee, to the Pastoral Care Department. The address to mail the application is:
The Department of Pastoral Care
743 Spring St.,
Gainesville, GA 30501
You may also fax the application to the Pastoral Care Department at 770-219-2904.
- For the residency program, there is no tuition, but there is a $60.00 application fee and a non-refundable deposit fee of $100.00.
For the intern program, the application fee is $60.00 and the tuition for one full unit is $500.00. We do require a $250.00 deposit which is applied to the full tuition cost.
All students please note the following:
- This ACPE CPE center guarantees to its students the rights to inspect and review education records, to seek to amend them, to specified control over release of record information, and to file a complaint against the program for alleged violations of the Family Education and Privacy (FERPA) rights.
- A student has the right to object to record content. If not negotiable, the written objection will be kept with and released with the record. Grades are exempted from this right.
- Violations of these protocols may be reported to the Chair of the Accreditation Commission at: ACPE, Inc, 1549 Clairmont Road, Suite 103, Decatur, GA 30033.