Anterior Approach Hip Replacement
Have A Question? Ask!
Have a question about join pain? Call 770-219-8214 or ask below
Northeast Georgia Medical Center (NGMC), Georgia’s #1 Hospital, offers a less invasive surgical option for hip replacement, called anterior approach hip replacement.The anterior approach is an advanced surgical technique in which an incision is made in the front of the hip rather than to the side or back of the hip. Surgery is performed in NGMC’s state-of-the-art surgical suites on a customized operating table called a HANA arthroplasty table, which allows for precise placement of the leg.
Benefits of Anterior Approach
Advantages of Anterior Approach Hip Replacement at NGMC:
- Decreased hospital stay
- Reduced pain
- Smaller incision
- Fast recovery
- Less muscle trauma
- Decreased risk of dislocation
- More accurate leg length
- Specially trained orthopedic care team
- Available in Gainesville and Braselton
How is anterior approach different than traditional hip replacement surgery?
- Unlike traditional hip replacement surgery, anterior approach hip replacement allows the physician to replace the joint without distressing or detaching muscle from the pelvis or femur during surgery. With an anterior approach hip replacement, patients may be able to immediately bend their hips freely and bear full weight when comfortable, enabling a quicker return to normal function. Other benefits include decreased risk of dislocation, a smaller incision, more precise and accurate leg length and fewer days in the hospital. In fact, most patients are up walking the same day of surgery and leave the hospital as soon as same day or day after surgery.
- Anterior approach hip replacement is performed on a customized operating table called a HANA arthoplasty table. The HANA table has the capability to minimize trauma to muscles and tissues by allowing for precise placement of the leg in such a way that muscles do not have to be cut. Northeast Georgia Medical Center is one of only six hospitals in Georgia with a HANA arthoplasty table.
Choose a Surgeon Who Performs Anterior Approach Hip Replacement
Surgeons in Braselton:
Jeffrey Garrett, MD
The Longstreet Clinic, P.C.
C. Cullen Scott, MD
Specialty Clinics of Georgia, Braselton
Darrell K. Scales, MD
Northeast Georgia Physicians Group
Surgeons in Gainesville:
Michael Gottsman, MD
The Longstreet Clinic, P.C.
Kris Wheeler, MD
Specialty Clinics of Georgia, Gainesville
What to Expect:
Watch a short video below to learn what to expect with anterior approach hip replacement
Nationally Recognized Care
Northeast Georgia Medical Center (NGMC) is rated #1 in Georgia for Orthopedic Surgery by CareChex for 2015.
The Orthopedic Program at NGMC offers comprehensive medical and surgical care from expert orthopedic specialists who are equipped with the most advanced technology, treatments and surgical techniques. All of our orthopedic surgeons are board certified or board eligible and bring the full spectrum of orthopedic options to the greater Northeast Georgia region.