Surgical Weight Loss Services
The Bariatric Weight Loss Center offers education, support and guidance for patients undergoing bariatric surgery. Our staff will help guide you through the process, from the initial application to the post-operative care. We also provide nutritional counseling to help patients not only prepare for the surgery, but succeed in maintaining their weight loss after surgery.
We have a dedicated Bariatrics unit in the North Patient Tower which features rooms and equipment specially designed for bariatric patients. In addition, our bariatric surgery staff members have undergone specialized training to ensure the highest quality of care for our patients during their hospital stay.
Learn about your surgical weight loss options:
Who is a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?
Weight loss surgery is recommended for:
- People with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or greater, or approximately 100 pounds over their ideal body weight.
- People who have a BMI between 35 and 40 and at least one significant obesity-related health condition, such as sleep apnea, diabetes or heart disease, may also be candidates for surgery.
Weight Loss Surgery Benefits
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), surgery offers the only proven long-term weight loss solution in patients for whom all other therapies have failed, and after 10-14 years, many gastric bypass patients have maintained a loss of about 100 pounds.
General benefits from weight loss surgery include improvements in:
- Heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease)
- Sleep apnea
- Breathing difficulties
- Pain in weight bearing joints
- Menstrual irregularity
How Can I Learn More about Bariatric Surgery?
Call 770-219-0597 or send us a contact form.
We encourage anyone who is interested in weight loss surgery to attend one of our FREE public information sessions (also called PI meetings), which are offered monthly throughout the area.
At these educational sessions, you will learn about:
- the surgical procedures available
- the application process
- any required pre-operative evaluation
Check the event calendar for upcoming sessions.