Joints in Motion Class
Research and best practices evidence suggests that when patients are informed and have an understanding of what to expect from a total joint replacement surgery, they have clearer expectations and goals, play a more active role in their recovery and often have better outcomes. The goal of the Joints in Motion program is to provide a learning environment for the patient and their designated support person to learn what to expect before, during and after joint replacement surgery.
The Joint Replacement Center uses a team approach for treatment and rehabilitation after hip and knee replacement surgery, but we believe you, the patient, are the most important and integral part of the team. So ensuring that you are well informed and cared for at every step along the way to recovery is the primary focus of the Joints in Motion program.
Patients are given a comprehensive, patient-friendly guide that educates them on the entire hip and knee replacement process. The guide explains how to prepare for:
- the pre-operative hospital visit
- what exercises to perform prior to and after surgery
- the post-operative care process
- how to care for your joint replacement while recovering at home
- The Joints in Motion coordinator rounds on each joint replacement patient daily and follows the patient’s progress during their hospital stay.
- Physical therapy sessions are held twice daily along with occupational therapy visits and specific nursing duties assigned.
Who Can Attend
Anyone in the community is welcome to attend. For patient’s scheduled for joint replacement surgery, we recommend you and your support person attend a class at least one to two weeks prior to the day of your surgery.
Schedule Your Class Today
Classes are offered in both Gainesville and Braselton for your convenience. To schedule a class, please contact the Joints in Motion Coordinators below:
Gainesville Joints in Motion Coordinator:
Deb Penny: 770-219-1146 | Deb.Penny@nghs.com
Braselton Joints in Motion Coordinator:
Donna Sebba: 770-848-1380 | Donna.Sebba@nghs.com