The W.D. Stribling Heart Clinic is named for W. D. Stribling, III, MD, a leading cardiologist who served the local community until his death in 1998. Friends of Dr. Stribling joined together following his death to support his legacy with substantial donations through The Medical Center Foundation to make the Clinic a reality.
A renowned figure in the northeast Georgia medical community, Dr. Stribling received his bachelor of science degree in chemistry and biology at the Citadel in 1949, his medical degree from Emory in 1953 and completed four additional years of training at the National Heart Institute. He came to Gainesville in 1957 and joined several other local physicians in founding a practice that would later become the Northeast Georgia Diagnostic Clinic.
Over the years, Dr. Stribling became a pioneer and champion for bringing the latest in cardiac care to northeast Georgia including assisting in bringing the first defibrillator to the Medical Center and training nurses in CPR when only physicians were permitted to perform it on patients.